States Visited

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Random Thoughts...

Einstein is given credit for the following observation: "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." I have no idea if he actually said it, but, given what I see and read these days one thing is absolutely clear - whoever said it was right on the money...

Perhaps all of this is inevitable. Humans seem to want some kind of government. As soon as government comes into being it begins amassing power and never stops. Eventually, the power of the government begins to crush the people. It may take centuries, but, eventually, the people revolt and overthrow the tyrannical government - only to replace it with another one and the process begins anew.

At what point is being a hard-working, tax-paying, law-abiding citizen nothing more than letting the bastards abuse us? At what point do we realize that we are the only ones still playing by the rules?

It really sucks to realize we've failed. Not just as a country, but we've failed the entire world. What I've come to realize is that what the Founders gave us was not the miracle of the republican form of government (the type, not the party) and it certainly wasn't democracy. For a long time I thought what made America great was that we were a republic, with checks and balances, and segregated authority. I was wrong. What made America great was that we had a system of government founded upon Natural Rights with the only purpose of government to secure those right. A democracy founded on any other principles is nothing more than the tyranny of the majority and the primary reason why our misguided attempts to bring American Democracy to the Middle East have failed so miserably. Majority rule without the recognition and protection of Natural Rights does nothing but give legitimacy to the will of the majority as they destroy the minorities. We were the hope of the world, now we are the beggar - PLEASE loan us more money.

I have pretty much lost all interest in professional sports, with a small exception for golf. There is just too much cheating for my tastes. And, I'm probably fooling myself with golf. I think there are about as many honest professional athletes as honest politicians.

I think I have too much work to do to spend too much time throwing out random thoughts.

No comments: