States Visited

Thursday, January 8, 2009

I live a charmed life...

More or less.

It is only because I live a relatively comfortable life that I can afford to expend the energy it takes to care enough to bitch a lot.

Generally, I love my life. I am sharing my life with the most amazing, wonderful person I've ever met. I have a great family and I have great friends. I have a good job working with good people. I have travelled all over this country and seen some pretty amazing things. I do not write about those things often because I would rather spend my time enjoying those things than writing about them.

It is only because I feel they are being threatened that I have been moved to write. It is because I love it all so much and have plans for the future and do not want to lose it that I spend so much of my free time reading things that cause other people to run and hide. I have always had a love of history, but it is different now. Before, I could read it as I pleased, as much or as little as I wanted. Now I feel that I must read it and understand it. Don't misunderstand, I still love it, there is just more urgency.

I don't really know why I felt compelled to write about all of this tonight. I think perhaps I realized that my posts have become like the evening news - all bad news all the time. It is ironic because there is relatively so little direct bad news in my life - for now. If I were hungry or poor or ignorant I would not have the time, energy or ability to write the things I write. But I am all to aware of how fine a line we are walking right now - how very easily the comfortable life I live could devolve into something horrific that would require all of my energy for survival, leaving nothing for things like blogs.

No comments: