States Visited

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Perspective from across the pond...

For what its worth, apparently I'm not the only person in the whole world that thinks we are skirting catastrophe (although it does feel that way sometimes).

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/gerald_warner/blog/2009/01/20/barack_obama_inauguration_this_emperor_has_no_clothes_it_will_all_end_in_tears

The title of this article - Barack Obama inauguration: this Emperor has no clothes, it will end in tears

Just a little teaser,

It is frightening to think there is a real possibility that the entire world economy could go into complete meltdown and famine kill millions... We should be long past applauding politicians of any hue: they got us into this mess. The best deserve a probationary opportunity to prove themselves, the worst should be in jail.

It is questionable whether the present political system can survive the coming crisis. Whatever the solution, teenage swooning sentimentality over a celebrity cult has no part in it. The most powerful nation on earth is confronting its worst economic crisis under the leadership of its most extremely liberal politician, who has virtually no experience of federal politics. That is not an opportunity but a catastrophe.

I do take some comfort in knowing that, in the end, I will probably be proven correct and lots of people will have to eat their words, however, it scares me to death because that just might be the only thing left to eat.

1 comment:

Jeff Border said...

This is exactly how I feel. Actually I predicted the crash back when I was still in my undergrad in finance (2001), not that the finance part had anything to do with it. I believe the casual observer could have noticed the way we were living and come to this conclusion. Even then I knew we were a nation of gluttons and couldn't pay for what we were purchasing. From the time I was a kid up until now I noticed houses were getting bigger, cars were getting more expensive, and people were driving newer ones. I thought how are people paying for all this? Funny thing is, they really weren't. It was all false wealth. I knew it couldn't last. Now here we are and I'm glad we're being purged of our greed...but again this self satisfaction comes with the knowledge that it will come with great cost.