States Visited

Sunday, October 26, 2008

"Debate" analysis

Friday, October 03, 2008
"Debate" analysis
I use the term "debate" lightly - unless you consider two people ignoring the moderator's questions, saying whatever comes to mind, and generally spouting nonsense a debate. Seriously, why do they need a moderator? Just have lights that come on when it is your turn to talk and go off when you have to stop.

I watched about ten minutes and switched over to ESPN to watch football. It was horrible. Even my curiousity about how Palin would peform wasn't enough to make me sit through that. I don't know when or how this started - probably when they started being televised - but none of these "debates" are debates. It is just a series of one-or-two-line, short answer, blips in which each person tries to come off as witty or tries to catch the other in a 'gotcha' moment.

What is really sad is that if one of the candidates actually engaged in real, philosophical answers (if that is even possible when you only have 60 seconds to answer) he or she would get destroyed in public opinion polls. People don't want to hear that, they want to hear which candidate is going to offer the biggest carrot and the smallest stick. I think part of the problem is the questions of the moderator. The moderators are trying to ask the questions that 'the people' would ask. I understand where they are coming from but that opens the door for all of the garbage (most of which is highly confusing) from the candidates.

I'll give you a quick example. Last night one of the first questions asked was, "...the next question is to talk about the subprime lending meltdown. Who do you think was at fault?"That is a stupid question for a debate in that format. There is no way to give a legitimate answer to that question in 60 seconds. It would be tough to give a really good answer in 60 minutes! You do not ask that kind of question in that kind of format if you want real answers.

The Presidential debate is set for next Tuesday. Ohhh, I'm so excited to watch THAT. Uh, thanks, but no thanks. I would rather watch static. WAIT, I have an idea. Comedy Central should broadcast the debate in split screen with Obama and McCain on one side and Statler and Waldorf (the two old guys in the balcony from the Muppets) giving running commentary on the other. I would PAY to watch that!

No comments: