States Visited

Sunday, October 26, 2008

I have a question...

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

I'm sure some of you may have seen the video of the children singing a 'praise' song about Obama. If not, you probably can't find it anymore. My understanding is that it has been on the campaign website since August and on youtube and other places, but once it started getting huge numbers of hits - and so many people found it...disturbing - it has been taken down almost everywhere. I really had to dig but finally found a copy of it here -

http://michellemalkin.com/2008/09/30/the-obama-childrens-chorus/

I am going to put the lyrics to the song at the bottom of this blog.

Here is my question: Why is this so disturbing to me? Normally a children's choir singing songs would make me smile, but listening to a group of children sing praises to Barack Obama made my blood run cold. At first I thought it might just be because it is about Obama, but I don't think so. I'm pretty sure I would have the same reaction to a song like that about any politcian. Immediately I had visions of the Hitler Youth singing about the glories of Nazism under Adolf Hitler or the children of China singing praises to Mao Zedong. However, I will admit that knowing that Obama, like those two, has called for compulsory community service by children and adults in return for government benefits and that he is full of other Marxist leanings probably made my reaction stronger than it otherwise would have been.

Am I overreacting? Maybe there is a precedence for this in this country but I can't think of one. I just kept thinking, "What kind of a politician has a video of children singing about him?" When I watched it a second time something else caught my attention - the parents (I'm assuming) and other adults in the audience. If you have ever seen the face of someone in church having a true spiritual moment then you know how these people looked. There is something deeply unsettling about seeing people have those looks while watching children sing about a politician or really any man for that matter. Especially a song with these lyrics -

We're gonna spread happiness
We're gonna spread freedom
Obama's gonna change it
Obama's gonna lead 'em

We're gonna change it
And rearrange it
We're gonna change the world.

Now's the moment, lift each voice to sing
Sing with all your heart!
For our children, for our families,
Nations all joined as one.
Sing for joy and sing abundant peace,
Courage, justice, hope!
Sing together, hold each precious hand,
Lifting each other up;
Sing for vision, sing for unity,
Lifting our hearts to Sing!
Yes we can
Lift each other up
In peace, in love, in hope
Change! Change!

Maybe I am just overracting...?

No comments: