States Visited

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Shocked (scared?) beyond words...

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I just finished a quick read of a proposed bill for the government bailout and I can't believe it. I can't. I read the words and...my heart stuck in my throat. Here is a link so you will know I'm not just making it up:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/business/21draftcnd.html?ex=1379649600&en=914ccd8eaf553546&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

If you scroll down you will find the following:

Sec. 8. Review.
Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency.

I want you to read that sentence again. Non-reviewable? By any court of law or administrative agency? This bill would give Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson powers that cannot be revoked by the Supreme Court, the House, or the Senate - essentially unlimited, unchecked, unreviewed power. I wonder if we will have to call him King Paulson? So much for the Constitutional separation of powers and checks and balances.

Oh, I'm sorry. Section 9 says its only for two years then he will give up all of that power and we will get back to normal. Whew. That was a close one. I mean, everyone knows dictators give up their powers peacefully all the time.

And if that doesn't scare you enough, go here:
http://radio.weblogs.com/0104693/stories/2002/11/17/directive10289.html

No comments: